Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Question

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" I am sure most of you have been asked this question at least once in your life. Firefighters, cowboys, doctors, and teachers among other childhood heroes can be listed as a child's ambition for later years.
Once upon a time my response would have been, "I want to be a missionary when I grow up!" But as I matured in my faith in Christ I learned that that is not what God wants our focus to be on.
What would our world look like if the question was, "What does God what you to be when you grow up?" If we are raising generations for Christ, isn't this what the question should be?
God did call me to go on a missions trip once. I spent two weeks in Ethiopia, Africa, had an amazing time, but came home realizing that that was not what God had in store for me. He gave me the vision of bringing other souls to Christ when I was four years old. But it wasn't for many years later that I knew what God had meant.
"What now?" I thought that since the rest of the world sent their daughters to colleges I should go to college too. But no, God didn't want me to do that either. "Well, then surely I need to find a job," I thought again. But no, God revealed to me that neither the foreign mission field nor college nor the secular workplace was where He wanted me.
"What does God want me to be when I grow up?" Yes, being a missionary to a foreign land is a noble calling, and one that is still near and dear to my heart. But God's mission for me was to be a wife and mother, the noblest vocation fo them all.
Instead of attending college, working outside the home, and, otherwise, living against what God has called me to, I am living under my parents' authority, working and preparing myself to be a Proverbs 31 wife and homeschooling mom. And what joy and contentment the Lord grants to those who follow His will!

*The Lord spoke to me concerning college and the workplace through the book "So Much More" by the Botkin Sisters. I firmly believe that all daughters of the King should read this book.

No comments: